As a cowboy, you have a deep affection for your trusty felt hat. It has been with you through those long days on the ranch and your outdoor adventures.
But as time passes, the sun and rain can take their toll on your favorite hat, causing it to lose its original shape and color over time.
So waterproofing your cowboy hat become essential to keep it looking fresh.
You can find step-by-step instructions on how to waterproof a felt cowboy hat in this blog article. It’s a great way to protect your hat from the elements and make sure it lasts for years.
The article covers everything from choosing the right materials for the job, prepping your hat, applying waterproofing sealant, and more.
So keep reading for all the tips and tricks you need to make sure your hat is completely waterproof.
Materials You Will Need
- Your felt cowboy hat
- A toothbrush
- Leather protectant or beeswax
- An old cloth or rag
- A basin of lukewarm water
- Dish soap
How to Waterproof a Felt Cowboy Hat
Step 1: Inspect Your Hat
Before you waterproof your felt cowboy hat, inspect it for any signs of wear. Look for fraying, discoloration, or other damage that may not be repairable.
If the hat is irreparable, you should invest in a new one before attempting to waterproof it.
Step 2: Clean the Hat
Once you have inspected your hat and decided it can be repaired, you should thoroughly clean it.
Use a damp cloth to remove any dirt or debris accumulated on the felt’s surface. Allow the hat to air dry before proceeding with the waterproofing process.
Once your hat is completely dry, apply a waterproofing spray or wax for felt hats. Spray or rub the product onto the surface of the hat and allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes to penetrate the fabric.
Step 3: Rinse off Excess Product
Once you have allowed the waterproofer to penetrate, rinse off any excess product with lukewarm water. Allow the hat to air dry again before proceeding with any additional steps.
Once your hat is completely dry, use a medium-heat iron to shape and stiffen the felt material. This will also help seal in the waterproofer you previously applied.
Step 4: Apply Protective Layer
Once you’ve ironed your hat, apply a protective layer of wax to the surface. This will help seal the previous layers and keep your hat looking good for longer.
After applying the protective layer, allow the hat to air dry for an hour or two.
Step 5: Re-shape Your Hat
Once completely dry your hat, you can re-shape it using a brush and warm water.
Use the brush to give your hat its classic shape, and use the warm water to moisten any stubborn areas that need re-shaping.
Once your hat is completely dry after re-shaping, apply a protectant spray to the surface. This will help keep it looking good for longer and prevent dirt and debris from sticking to it.
Step 6: Hang Your Hat Up
When not in use, hang your hat up in a cool, dry place. This will help keep your hat looking its best for years to come.
Also, if you plan to go out in the rain, consider adding a waterproofing spray or wax to your hat. This will help keep it dry and protect it from the elements.
Now that you know how to waterproof a felt cowboy hat, you can protect your favorite headgear from the sun and rain.
With proper care and maintenance, you can enjoy your beloved Western-style hat year after year.
Tips for Waterproofing a Felt Cowboy Hat
- Always handle the hat lightly and with great care when wetting or waterproofing. Avoid tugging and pulling on the brim, as this can cause damage to the shape of the hat.
- When you put on the waterproofing stuff, use your hands or a soft brush and ensure it is spread evenly over the felt material. Cover the whole thing from top to bottom.
- Ensure that the waterproofing agent is compatible with the hat’s material before use, and never use an unknown agent on a felt cowboy hat.
- Before putting on waterproof products, spray something to protect it even more. This will help further protect your hat from water.
- Before waterproofing a hat, check it for any tears or weak spots. Make sure to fix these before starting the process.
- If necessary, you can use a soft cloth to gently blot any excess moisture from the hat once it has been waterproofed.
- Finally, store the hat in a cool, dry environment away from direct sunlight when not in use. This will help to maintain its shape and prevent further damage.
If you want to keep your cowboy hat looking good for a long time, there are some steps you should take. Waterproofing your hat can help protect it outside in the rain. This will make sure that your favorite hat looks its best.
How Often Should You Reapply the Waterproofing Agent?
Waterproofing your felt cowboy hat is a great way to keep it in top condition and protect it from the elements. However, this protection doesn’t last forever and must be reapplied periodically.
Reapply waterproofing agent to your felt cowboy hat every 3-4 months or after it has been in heavy rain.
When waterproofing a cowboy hat, spread the agent evenly. That way, you can make sure that the whole hat is covered.
Do not store a wet hat because it could shrink and change shape. Always make sure your felt cowboy hat is completely dry before putting it away for storage.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Waterproofing a Felt Cowboy Hat
Waterproofing your felt cowboy hat is relatively easy, but paying attention to the details is important to get the best results.
Here are some of the most common mistakes you should avoid when waterproofing a felt cowboy hat:
- When waterproofing a felt hat, use enough solution to cover it completely. Make sure you get into all the small places too.
- Don’t put your hat on when you apply the waterproof solution. Give it time to dry completely. This will ensure that your felt cowboy hat is waterproof and will protect it well.
- If you want the best results, make sure to use a waterproofing solution that is suitable for felt hats. That way, your hat will stay dry. You should also check the label on the product to ensure it won’t damage your hat.
- When waterproofing your felt cowboy hat, it is essential to use enough solutions. But do not use too much, as this can make your hat look bad with a sticky or greasy finish.
You can make your felt cowboy hat last a long time by waterproofing it. Waterproofing helps protect the hat and keep it looking nice.
How Should You Maintain a Felt Cowboy Hat?
Waterproofing your felt cowboy hat is important, but it won’t make it 100% waterproof. It will just help the materials last longer in wet conditions.
Clean your hat regularly with lukewarm water and a mild detergent to keep it waterproof.
After cleaning, the hat should be left to air dry in a warm environment away from direct sunlight or heat.
If you want products like hair conditioner or wax on your felt cowboy hat, try it on a small area first. Then, if it looks good, you can put the product all over the hat.
Another important step in caring for a waterproofed felt cowboy hat is to store it in a cool, dry place. This will help prevent mold or mildew build-up and keep the hat looking new.
Taking care of your felt cowboy hat is important. You should waterproof it so it won’t get damaged if it gets wet. Put on the waterproofing evenly so it doesn’t look greasy or sticky.
Make sure to dry the hat completely after applying the waterproofing and store it in a cool, dry place to stop mold or mildew from growing.
Reapply the waterproofing often, especially after cleaning or when there is a lot of rain.
So this is how you can take good care of your felt cowboy hat. You can keep it looking great with a little effort and patience!
Let us know how you care for your felt cowboy hat in the comments below.